Lord of the Flies is an allegorical novel by William Golding which tells about school male childs whose plane crashed and was stuck on a abandoned island from which the male childs started a societal system. The ground for taking this book is because it does non merely speak about the artlessness of the immature school male childs but, it speaks wholly about the development of the human civilisation, the civilization and the possible devastation, therefore, can be related to the capable affair: Asiatic Civilization.
In the beginning of the novel, the reader is presented with a group of British male childs who have been stranded on a tropical island. The male childs are all immature, the oldest 1s non more than 12, and the island is apparently calm and gorgeous. The phase seems set for the male childs to hold a fantastic runaway in Eden, but as disagreement interruptions out amongst them, their life on the island becomes progressively violent and beastly.
The chief characters were:
1. ) Ralph
– in many ways the personification of a good-intentioned universe leader who must fight with himself between continuing the jurisprudence and giving in to his baser inherent aptitudes. Ralph realizes the necessity for a structured environment for the male childs who look up to him, even if they do n’t believe it ‘s necessary, but at the same clip he wants to give in to his ain selfish desires. Ralph does non hold the congenital personal appeal of a “ natural ” leader, but he is the most capable leader amongst the male childs. He has the conch, which Golding utilizations as a symbol of leading and merely authorities. He is non perfect, but he has the sense to inquire advice from male childs ( such as Piggy ) who know more than he does. Unfortunately, he is non able to keep control when the male childs start to contend. Once he is deposed, he symbolizes the spirit of opposition and the battle for justness in laden people. In the terminal, he is shown to be the true leader of the male childs, but merely after the grownup universe intervenes in the signifier of the naval officer geting to stop the pandemonium.
2. ) Piglet
– represents diminished clerisy. His fleshiness and asthma prevent him from playing and working with the other male childs. His isolation and disaffection due to his physical jobs and his sheltered life with his aunt mirror the separation and disaffection of the scientific/academic community from mainstream universe personal businesss. Piggy ‘s dependance on his spectacless — without which he is about incapacitated — represents the rational elites ‘ dependance on engineering and cognition for their power and endurance. In the terminal, Piggy is murdered by Roger, much as other dictators destroyed intellectuals in their ain states to maintain their people ignorant and obedient.
3. ) Roger
– represents the senselessly violent cabals who are suppressed by the Torahs of a stable society but who rise to bloodthirsty highs in times of war. When the male childs foremost arrive on the island, Roger is diffident and sneak. When war breaks out between the male childs, he comes to the head as the chief hatchet man for Jack, the male child autocrat. The lone thing that stops Roger is the reaching of the naval officer.
4. ) Jack Merridew
– represents both dictatorships and the destructive, foolhardy side of human nature. He has a great trade of personal appeal but really small foresight ; his position of the universe is centered on fulfilling his ain desires for power and pleasance. His insisting on being called by his last name in the beginning of the book shows that he has a military mentality and a deformed position of himself and his schoolmates. He does n’t truly see anyone, including himself, as being a existent individual with a bosom and psyche and feelings. However, most of the other male childs can merely see his personal appeal, and his military bluster makes him seem like the natural leader to follow. But in world, Jack is a really hapless leader, supplying merely speedy, superficial replies to their jobs. When his replies fail, he maintains his clasp on the male childs with panic and a cult of bloodlust that refocuses the energy of their frights into wild dances and hog Hunts. Jack starts up the war against Ralph and his male child ; this mirrors the usage of war in absolutisms to deflect the populace from their existent jobs and to keep power. Jack ‘s puting the lay waste toing fire on the island is like the act of a huffy dictator get downing a atomic war. Jack denies his ain frights and humanity, concealing behind a mask of war pigment. His frontage is eventually broken down when the naval officer arrives and imposes the order of the grownup universe.
5. ) The naval officer
– who arrives at the terminal of the novel to set a halt to the male childs ‘ lunacy and take them back to civilisation could stand for a higher power such as God. But possibly he ‘s merely a wishfully employed so that readers are n’t wholly depressed by holding to read about Ralph and his friends being murdered after Piggy. Regardless of one ‘s reading of the officer ‘s symbolism, the ultimate sarcasm of the book is that he “ deliverances ” the male childs merely to take them back to a universe torn by war where none of them have any authorization or power over their ain lives. And, unlike the officer ‘s halting the male child ‘ force, there ‘s non likely to be any higher power to salvage humanity from the catastrophe of its ain creative activity.
Given the character of each character above, the narrative and its relationship to the Asiatic Civilization is unfolded: the world that there is a ne’er stoping competition for power and position, the wars of different dynasties, that was present all throughout the civilisation. The different views/beliefs of the people and the diverse civilizations: philosophical, good/civilized leading, rebellion, spiritual, at hand immorality and others. The book besides talks about the rise of engineering or the promotion of the people or folks ; besides, the creative activity and usage of fire, which was used by the Homo Erectus ‘ , which may besides take to disaster. Last, the division of labour applied in the book which can besides be related to the past civilizations of Asiatic states.
In a deeper sense, the relationship of the book to the capable affair is that there is a cardinal ambiguity in human being: the failing or exposure of the impulse towards civilisation and the ethical motives as it progresses.