Glatfelter Plant Papermaking Process
– On Thursday March 20, the processes class visited Glatfelter plant located in Chillicothe, Ohio. Glatfelter is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of specialty paper and engineering products. The company was started by Philip Glatfelter in 1864 and has expanded to annual revenue of 1.19 billion dollars. The company headquarters is located in York, Pennsylvania with papermaking plants and wood yard located throughout the United States. Glatfelter also has international operations in Germany, France, United Kingdom, Canada and the Philippines….
Grammatical Processing in Language Learners
– The keynote article “Grammatical processing in language learners” by Clahsen and Felser, aimed to compare the grammatical processing in adult native speakers, child first language learners, and adult second language learners (L2ers) (3). The authors examined works that observed the processing of morphology, ambiguous sentences, and syntactic dependencies before going into their general discussion in which they summarize the results and suggest the shallow structure hypothesis. The first topic looked at by Clahsen and Felser was morphological processing….
Poisonous and Medicinal Plant: Foxglove or Digitalis Purpurea
– Introduction: Digitalis purpurea, commonly known as the foxglove is one of the deadliest but at the same time most medicinal plants in our world. This flowering plant is very widespread being found in much of temperate Europe and parts of North America. While, the leaves, flowers, and seeds are all poisonous to us and other animals, compounds have been extracted from the species and are used in heart medicines and other medicinal products that we still use today. The foxglove can grow in very little soil and can often be found in many cracks and crevices making it a very common and recognizable plant species (Royal Botanic Gardens, 2011)….
Influence of High Pressure Processing on Plant Based Food System
– … High pressure processing (HPP) provides an alternative means of killing bacteria that can cause spoilage or food-borne disease without a loss of sensory quality or nutrients. As seen in figure 1, HPP is typically undergoing four different stages: product loading, vessel pre-filling, pressurizing, and product unloading (Hiperbaric, 2012). At first, food products are packaged in the plastic pouch or bottle and are loaded in big metal baskets, which have holes in each side. The basket moves into the vessel, and vessels move to the high pressure chamber….
The Plant World
– Introduction Plants exhibit exceptionally intelligent behaviour when it comes to interactions with their environment. They can detect perceived threats, then convey warning signals to other plants via chemical signaling. Forewarned plants will then assemble their defenses against these potential threats, thus, increasing their chance of survival and reproduction. Communication and competition are common occurrences among the plant world. Another brilliantly, almost inconceivable capability plants possess is the ability to recognize coexisting family members within their home range….