Is Easy Oil Really Gone?
– … An uncontrolled release of hydrocarbons to the surface is known as a blowout, and when coupled with an explosion, or in an environmentally sensitive area, the results are catastrophic. A blowout or release of hydrocarbon to the surface may not only happen in the drilling process, it can happen long after the well is drilled, while in the production phase. A notable case is the Piper Alpha disaster which happened in 1988, where gas condensate leaked from recently serviced valve, causing an explosion and resulted in the complete loss of the production platform and the loss of 167 men (Macalister, 2013)….
Origins of Petroleum Drilling
– The first step that creates sedimentary rocks is when tectonic forces push rock formations upward to produce mountains. Since this rock formation is know exposed to the surface conditions, it becomes eroded and weathered. These effects cause the rock to wear down. Due to deposition, sorting of various fragments occurs. Think of a stream that flows down a mountain. Within this stream there are many different materials that travel due to the velocity of the stream. Depending on how much distance is traveled by the river in a specific time defines its velocity….
Cost Reduction by Monitoring the Oil and Gas Pipelines Corrosion
– The purpose of this research paper is to discuss the importance of corrosion monitoring technology and development in the industrial oil section in terms of cost reduction. An investigation of the most common used ways to monitor the corrosion rate and a comparison of the monitoring methods; in term of applicability, losses savings and monitoring speed was carried on to give the people who read this research an idea of these methods. Using the data found in the resources and the data collected through the survey and interviews, a general idea of the importance of developing corrosion monitoring methods can be concluded….
Fracking: Extracting Natural Gas
– Introduction: Environmental and socioeconomic debate over an alternative method of extracting natural gas thousands of feet below the surface using horizontal drilling and hydraulic “fracking” has risen in last twenty years. Fracking is the technique of drilling deep wells under high pressure with sand, water and a variety of chemicals to crack open rocks to release natural gas (hydrogen carbons) and oil from shale or coal bed methane deposits. Townships in Colorado like Lafayette and Fort Collins, voted on a moratorium to ban fracking within city limits….
The U.S Oil and Gas Refining and Marketing Industry
– The U.S Oil & Gas Refining & Marketing Industry According to the GAO report, the U.S. petroleum refining industry experienced a period of high product prices and industry profits from the early 2000s through to 2007. ( United States Government Accountability Office , 2014). Since the recession of 2007 to 2009,the industry has been in transition ( United States Government Accountability Office , 2014). The three major changes that have recently affected the domestic petroleum refining industry include: Increased production: According to GAO, the U.S….