The Fast Food Health Scam
– For decades the fast-food industry has supplied Americans with tasty, comforting food, quickly and for a low cost. It was not until recently, when the health craze first hit America in the late 1980’s that the corporations developed a new approach to marketing health food products to fit their customer’s wants (Nielsen 450). Even the most common fast food chains, such as McDonalds and Subway started advertising “healthier” food items on their menus to continue appealing to the general public. In order to maintain significant market share of the industry, fast food companies must entice people of all ages and advertise alternative menu options, even if the nutrition content does not support t…
The Impact of Lowering the Drinking Age on State University
– The legal drinking age in the United States will always be a point of contention. No one can settle upon a drinking age that everyone is in agreement with; should it be 18 or 21. Ages 18 and 21 are the most popular options, yet neither one has 100% of the vote. With the current legal drinking age in America standing at 21, meaning that people under the age of 21 cannot purchase or consume alcoholic food or beverages, there is the question of whether or not to lower it to 18 or 19 years old….
Understanding Violence: The Virginia Tech University Shootings
– … Although some early theories, like atavism, were later discredited, important foundation was being laid for future research. Lombroso “was the first criminologist of note to employ the scientific method-particularly measurement, observation, and attempts at generalization—in his work” (Schmalleger, p.172). Modern biology is focused more on understanding behavior, like violence and crime, through research on indicators and influences. Rather than attempting to determine a single root cause, researchers are discovering markers of predisposition and identifying factors of risk….
The Fast Food Health Scam
– For decades the Fast-food industry has supplied Americans with tasty, comforting food, quickly and at a low cost. It was not until recently, when the health craze first hit America in the late 1980’s that the corporations developed a new approach to marketing health food products to fit their customer’s wants (Nielsen). The most common fast food chains, such as McDonalds and Subway, started advertising “healthier” food items on their menus to continue appealing to the general public. While fast food restaurants give the impression of offering healthy food, nutritionist studies show healthy alternatives are not as nutritious as advertised and can lead to possible calorie underestimation and…
Application Essay for a Research Scientist Position
– After high school, I left my home country of Vietnam to pursue my academic dream, making use of the entire savings of my parents for the life-changing trip to America. As a first-generation college student, I was fortunate enough to receive such great support and encouragement from a loving family that instilled within me a work ethic and determination to succeed. But only after my arrival in America, did I understand how to persevere to surmount the adversities in life. Born and raised in the war-destroyed South Vietnam, never before had I been exposed to such a place so dominating and grandiose like Dallas….