Textile Mills: Their Innovation and Impact on Society
– When our group found out that this year’s History Day topic was “impact and innovation” we had an epiphany to exemplify what impacted people’s lives the most, so we concluded to do our on project on the innovation in the textile industry and impact of the textile mills. The textile mills provided people with a cheap source of cloth that had an impact on every person’s lives during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. In order to get our information on the innovation and impact of the textile mills, as a group we gathered information from various places and did extensive research on our topic….
Explain How Far Nelsons Fits into the Overall Development of Northern Textile Towns?
– … Source C illustrates a very positive correlation between the population and the number of looms. As the number of looms increased, the population increased. From this, I can extrapolate that the looms were attracting more and more people to come to Nelson in search to find work. As people did find work they settled in the area to feed their families and the word spread. Source L signifies that there was no age limit for people to start working. Usually a “family works together…father, mother, sons and daughters”….
The Lowell Textile Mills
– The Lowell Textile Mills The Lowell textile mills were a new transition in American history that explored working and labor conditions in the new industrial factories in American. To describe the Lowell Textile mills it requires a look back in history to study, discover and gain knowledge of the industrial labor and factory systems of industrial America. These mass production mills looked pretty promising at their beginning but after years of being in business showed multiple problems and setbacks to the people involved in them….
Parental Detachment in I Stand Here Ironing
– Every parent knows how difficult it is to make decisions in the best interest of their children. There is always some doubt in the back of the mind, what if this happens or that happens. Tillie Olsen shows in her story “I Stand Here Ironing” the conflict and the results of one mother’s decisions. She illustrates the back, forth motion of the iron as the back and forth doubts in the mother’s mind. The detachment between mother and daughter in “I Stand Here Ironing” is understandable. The mother struggles daily with the decisions she made while her oldest child Emily was a young baby and toddler….
Themes Illustrated in Tillie Olsen’s I Stand Here Ironing
– The story begins with a sentence “I stand here ironing, and what you asked me moves tormented back and forth with the iron” (Olsen 73). It is unusual that the story starts with a description of the mother ironing. This strategy easily draws readers’ attention and introduces the narrator character to the readers. “I stand here ironing” is a very straightforward and simple description, but yet it conveys a deeper meaning and draws the readers into the narrative. The mother’s ironing provides the metaphor for the whole story…. ;