An Analysis of Coach Carter and High School Sports
– As a student enters the gym doors of Smith-Cotton, one can see various trophies from our athletic teams, along with our JROTC National Championship banners that hang up from the walls. One can see by the quality of our gym that our sports are a main part of our school, but as one wanders on into the hallways of our school, he can see how dull they are. By the plainness of the walls, there seems to be no life; however, in the JROTC hallway you see the trophy cabinet full of multiple national trophies, and as you venture on you get to see images of what these teams do, along with the bulletin board that shows newspaper articles of the success of the program….
The Role of a Coach: Much More Than Just Sports
– … In order for a coach to teach effectively, the sport must be understood by the coach in such a manner that the coach is able to instruct a player in a variety of ways from essential skills to advance tactics and strategies. In some cases, a coach may have previous experience as a player in a particular sport but that does not mean that all players make good coaches. Coaches have major decisions to make and important business to handle such as planning for the season, knowing the progressive nature of training variation, being aware of the rules, and providing a simple, organized environment for athletes to succeed….
A Career as an Athletic Director
– Being an athletic director seems like an amazing job because of the interaction with people and being around athletics. A lot of kids are involved in at least one sport, if not more, during their life time. Being an athletic director would give the opportunities for the kids to enjoy the sport or sports they are in by having an organized program and making it a good experience for them. An athletic director’s job is very important, they make sure every thing is in tact and organized. They make the schedules and let everyone know what is going on….
Gender and Diversity Conflict in Teams
– For a team to be successful there are several factors that have to be addressed in order for a fluent, functioning group of individuals combined to achieve a certain goal. This goal can be a variety of different endings from producing minor results to making decisions that create a major impact on a large scale. Within a team environment conflict is always presence. Conflict is essential to the advancement of teams and must be managed in a proper way to avoid destruction and division amongst the group of individuals….
School Funds for Athletics Cut
– … With more and more pressure going towards test scores and graduation rates, athletic funding is dwindling at rates higher than ever seen before as the funding is going towards improvement in the classroom (“Elliot”). Extracurriculars are beneficial to the student as they keep them out of trouble and students are able to form new friendships while demonstrating their passion or ability (“Smith”). Many lower level sports programs are eliminating coaching positions due to the lack of funding. This money is needed elsewhere in academic settings….