Characters of An Inspector Calls
– Characters of An Inspector Calls The inspector arrives at the Birling’s house in the evening, during a family get-together to celebrate the engagement of their daughter to Gerald Croft. The inspector questions every member of the family individually, starting with Mr. Birling. Mr & Mrs Birling who do not like the way the inspector is interrogating them, get angry with him, and accuse him of being rude. However Sheila, Mr & Mrs Birling’s daughter, and Gerald are honest, and can face their mistakes….
– What is the role of the Inspector in the play. The Inspectors role in the play is to show the capitalists are completely and morally wrong by challenging a rich upper-class family, the “Birlings.” Being written after the Second World War it is a time when there was socialists control so most of the audience would be in favour of the socialist views and despise the capitalist views J.B Priestleys job is to show what early 20th century England was like. The play shows what the country was like under the capitalist regime by showing the audience the case of the death of Eva Smith….
The Function of the Character Inspector Goole in An Inspector Calls
– John Boynton Priestley was born on 13th September 1894 in Bradford, Yorkshire and died in 1984. Queen Victoria died in 1901 (when Priestley was seven years old), thus ending the ‘Victorian’ era. Her son then became King Edward VII, which was the start of what we know as the ‘Edwardian’ era. When Priestley was sixteen he left school and worked in a firm of wool merchants, but joined the army and served in the First World War, (1914-18) on the front line in France. He was wounded and gassed. At the age of twenty-five he was awarded a place at Cambridge to study literature, history and political science and later went on to work as a journalist in London….
The Function of the Inspector in J.B. Priestley’s An Inspector Calls
– The Function of the Inspector in J.B. Priestley’s An Inspector Calls J.B Priestly was a British journalist, novelist, playwright and essayist. He was born in 1894 in Bradford and died in 1984. The play “An Inspector Calls” is about a family who, each member without knowing, have participated in a young girl’s suicide. Inspector Goole makes every member of the family realise that they have played a part in killing the girl. At the beginning of the play the Birlings and Gerald Croft are having an engagement celebration dinner in the evening…. ;
Priestley’s portrayal of Inspector Goole in An Inspector Calls
– Consider the ways in which Priestley’s portrayal of Inspector Goole and the way in which he carries out his investigation of the Birling family and Gerald Croft create dramatic interest. ‘An inspector calls’ was written in 1945 by J.B Priestley. The play is set in 1912 and centres on Arthur Birling, a prosperous manufacturer and his family, who are celebrating the engagement of their daughter, when they are suddenly and dramatically interrupted by the arrival of the police inspector. The inspector, investigating the suicide of a young working-class woman, uncovers each of the family’s shameful secrets that link them with the young girl and her death….