The Lineages of Conformity in Mailer’s The White Negro: Superficial Reflections on the Hipster”
– … Mailer argues that this act of violence, though not necessarily a particularly physically taxing effort on the youths’ part, and not necessarily “therapeutic” due to the circumstances, “the hoodlum is therefore daring the unknown, and so no matter how brutal the act it is not altogether cowardly.” (Mailer) The courage stems from the idea that not only are the youths murdering another human being, they are also trespassing, creating conflict with authority, and introducing a “dangerous element (Mailer) into their lives, thrusting the young hipsters into direct conflict with society….
Compaing Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield and the Film 300
– Introduction In history there have been many infamous battles. Ia Drang, Guadalcanal, Bataan, Pointe Du Hoc, San Juan Hill, Little Big Horn, and The Alamo are America’s hallowed battles. They are events that shaped our collective consciousness as a nation. One notorious conflict that has shaped the world as the aforementioned have shaped our nation is the Battle of Thermopylae. This epic struggle between the hoards of Persia and the decedents of Herakles decided the course of western civilization….
– Elvis Aaron Presley was born on Jan 8, 1935 to Vernon and Gladys Presley, in Tupelo, Mississippi. The Presley’s were poor as people could be at the time and Vernon tried a variety of jobs to support his family. He was often away and Elvis developed a close bond with his mother. She had lost other son at birth and her ability to have other children. She put all her hopes on her one surviving son and was not to be let down. The family moved to Memphis in 1948 and that’s where Elvis’ musical talent began to bloom….
Same Sex Harassment
– Same Sex Harassment Imagine that you are in the shower of the gym at work and three co-workers enter, then hold you down to the ground while rubbing their genitalia across your bare skin. No matter what the circumstance you would find this behavior appalling and disgusting. Now think to yourself if every person involved had been a male. Would you say that they were just “horsing around?” I hope not. The attitude of American society and legal culture regarding sexual harassment has changed over the last 35 years….
Same Sex Harassment
– Same Sex Harassment Joseph Oncale was employed from August to November of 1991 by Sundowner Offshore Services, Inc., as a roustabout on a sea-based oil rig for $7 an hour. He had worked on offshore rigs before (and does today), but says he’s never encountered such abusive treatment as when he signed on with Sundowner. Oncale claims that while on the job he was sexually harassed by three male Sundowner employees: John Lyons, his supervisor; and Danny Pippen and Brandon Johnson, two co-workers…. ;