Highway Maintenance Worker
– The career I chose is Highway maintenance worker. I chose this job because I am good at working with my hands and getting involved. As well as I can operate big semi trucks and machinery that that job requires me to use. Thus I would be able to advance through ranks quickly. This career wasn’t needed until the year 1925 when the first transcontinental highway was made, state route 30. In 1921 Bureau of Public Roads was authorized to fund for the building of highways, by the Federal Highway Act. With being employed as a Highway Maintenance worker you have to be able to drive trucks to the work sites that are carrying the equipment….
Proper Maintenance of Garden Sheds
– Sheds are very useful for storage. The most common shed in domestic use are garden sheds. They are not only useful, but having a garden shed is an added attraction to your lawn as well. Having a shed does not end there; it requires proper building and maintenance. It is important that you keep the garden shed from prolonged sun and water exposure. Keeping it clean is also an assurance that it will be of use for a long time. The most common type of garden shed is wooden sheds because they match right to a garden environment….
The Erie Canal
– In The Artificial River, Carol Sheriff describes how when the digging of the Erie Canal began on July 4, 1817, no one would have been able to predict that the canal would even be considered a paradox of progress. One of the major contradictions of progress was whether or not triumphing art over nature was even considered progress. People were not sure during the nineteenth century if changing the environment for industrialization was necessarily a good thing. Another contradiction to progress that resulted from the Erie Canal was when people started holding the state government responsible for all their financial misfortunes….
The Erie Canal
– The Erie Canal is a waterway in New York that runs 363 miles from Albany, New York, on the Hudson River to Buffalo, New York, at Lake Erie, completing a navigable water route from the Atlantic Ocean to the Great Lakes. The canal contains 36 locks which allows a boat to go from one level of a water to another level lower by raising the water level in one section which lets the boat move from one lock to the next. By doing this, the Erie Canal makes a once non-accessible waterway a common mean of transportation for both goods and people….
The Colorado River
– The Colorado River is the seventh longest river. In the 1920’s Western states began dividing up the water in the Colorado River by building dams and divert river flow to San Diego, Phoenix, and other large cities in order to supply water to these cities. In the past the river has been known for being a major source of water and electricity. The Colorado River passes through Utah, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, California, Baja California, and Sonora. During the past decade a drought has been sweeping the Southwest resulting in a lowered river level….