Observation of a Photograph
– Observation of a Photograph Observation is a valuable and rich source for gathering data for a qualitative study. It offers the researcher firsthand insight into a phenomenon by personally experiencing the same through his/her five senses (Creswell, 2013). It not only provides an inquirer with the opportunity to document participants, activities, settings, behaviors, and other aspects by directly observing them, but also permits him/her “to better understand and capture the context within which people interact” (Patton, 2002, p….
Ethnographic Writing and Relationships with Research Subjects
– Anthropologists conduct research in order to answer specific questions about a particular group of people and their culture. Most anthropologists use fieldwork to collect their data, which is then interpreted within their ethnographic writing. When collecting their data, anthropologists use many different approaches such as developing relationships with their informants, but do not illustrate these relationships in their actual writing. Anthropologists Claire E. Sterk and Philippe Bourgois are two of the anthropologists that emphasize their relationships and the importance of gaining trust of their informants in their perspective articles studied….
Should the United States’ School Schedule Be Extended?
– … The Massachusetts experiment proves that the extension can produce more money for schools. Even though some might think the extension brings in more money, the reality is extending the school schedule cost millions and not many states have the resources to fund it. In fact in the article “Schools Give Extended Class Time a Longer Look” Ledyard King states, “Lack of money was largely the reason Florida abandoned its experiment with a longer school day years ago” (King). King’s statement proves that extensions are sometimes too costly to go into action…. ;
Effect of Identity of the Confederate on Social Contagion of Memory: Does Misinformation From Significant Other Cause Higher Levels of Contagion?
– Memory’s reconstructive structure is known and has a consensus upon for a long time; and researchers try to identify different kinds of effects on memory such as neurological factors, cognitive factors and developmental factors and so on (Sutton, 2011). However, influence of social factors was not considered in research until recently. Echterhoff and Hirst (2009) reviewed both group and dyad studies in memory conformity and social contagion. They mention the first studies of social influence on memory started with researcher’s involvement in experiment…. ;
Use of human subjects in research
– The use of human subjects in research is very controversial in today’s society. However, there is a certain push to do certain experiments on humans, such as clinical trials for new medications or surgical procedures and social experiments on humans. It is believed that those results are more reliable than if those studies were carried out on other ‘model’ organisms in these fields. I have picked two cases from Shamoo and Resnik (2009) that relate to different aspects of the issue of human subjects in research…. ;