Removal of Heavy Metals from Contaminated Soils
– Introduction Soil contamination is a worldwide environmental problem. It is caused by either solid or liquid hazardous substances, such as toxic trace metal, mixing with the naturally occurring soil. Contaminated areas are often those with mining activities or agricultural land affected by the use of metal-containing fertilizers. Mining and mineral processing in particular generate large quantity of by-product mine wastes. These are collected in mine waste piles and tailings, and may cause severe soil contamination through spillage….
The Different Ways to Manage Hazardous Waste
– There are at least 1000 different chemical created each year, out of all existing chemicals, 60,000 alone were created in the United States and this dependency on chemicals by the industrial society creates many problems. According to U.S. Environment Protection Agency [U.S. EPA], 35,000 types of all existing chemicals are considered hazardous to human health and the environment (as cited in Shah, 2000). Hazardous wastes are materials that consist of chemical constituents which can easily harm the environment, exposing human and other living things to diseases or even death if it is incorrectly used or managed (U.S….
Hazardous Materials Incident Response
– Hazardous materials can be important in everyday life when properly handled. However, when improperly handled, they can result in injury, death, and destruction as well as have lingering effects that may last for years to come. To address the risk of an uncontrolled hazardous materials release, there must be a coordinated effort to identify, locate, and quantify the hazardous materials in a particular location (Drexel University Safety & Health, 2001). Typically, industry and government agree that a hazardous materials incident is one where • The intentional or accidental release of a hazardous material is responsible for major injury or fatality • The release of the hazardous material or…
Increase in Hazardous Material Spills
– … Deanna Cymbaluk, who was an Environment Canada fisheries inspector, found that the Gibson Energy was no duly diligent in preventing the substance from leaking into the river. This regulatory offence was caused by the failure to abandon an unused pipeline, which showed how Gibson Energy was negligent in running their operations and did not take all reasonable measures to ensure harmful substances where not leaked into the river. The incident involving Devon Canada, an operator for tar sands, resulted in 3,000 barrels of oil spills due to a risky procedure known as the steam injection….
Alternative Electrode Materials: Batteries
– … The main components of a battery are the electrodes, and the materials used for these electrodes have the greatest impact on the performance of the battery. Therefore, the essential question is: which materials used in the electrodes will yield to the most battery life. The history behind the creation of the lithium-ion battery is as follows. Schalkwijk (2002) provides the reason behind why lithium was the chosen material for the battery, “(i) Lithium has the lightest weight, (ii) It has the highest voltage and (iii) it has the greatest density of all metals”(p.133)….