Ellsworth M. Toohey, Soul Collector
– During the building-trade unions’ strike Ellsworth Toohey declares in his address to the strikers, “We shall unite or we shall be defeated. Our will-the will of the disinherited, the forgotten, the oppressed-shall weld us into a solid bulwark” (103). Toohey’s declaration sets the stage for the prodigious irony that is his character. The self proclaimed humanitarian defines the strikers, and by extension the working class, as weak and helpless, in need of their mass numbers to rise against their powerful oppressors, the privileged contractors and architects in need of their labor and skill, but unwilling to share in the wealth generated by the collective creation….
Miranda Grey and Frederick Clegg from The Collector by John Fowles
– Miranda Grey and Frederick Clegg from The Collector by John Fowles Miranda Grey and Frederick Clegg are the main characters that are interpreted in the text The Collector, by John Fowles. Both characters correspond to different classes in society. John Fowles uses the concept of the implied reader, in which he ‘speaks to’ a specific reader in mind in an attempt to have the story interpreted in a particular way. Fowles expects us to read Miranda as an intelligent, mentally independent being part of the upper class, but at the same time, an arrogant “liberal humanist snob” (Radhakrishna Rao, www.freshlimesoda.com/reviews/thecollector.html)….
– John Fowles, utilizes classic fairy tale as portrayed by other literary works to structure his narration in The Collector. He tells his version of a fairy tale by creating the characters of Clegg and Miranda to mirror Ferdinand and Miranda in The Tempest, Romeo and Juliet, the Prince and Belle in Beauty and the Beast. The Collector and the aforementioned tales are similar not in the circumstances of the narrative, but the traditional dichotomy of captor and captive, good and evil, love and hate, that the characters of Clegg and Miranda portray….
Type of Solar Collectors
– Classification of solar collectors ? The classification is based on the way they collect solar radiation. The non-concentrating type absorbs the radiation as it is received on the surface of the collector while the concentrating type first increases the concentration of radiation per unit area before absorbing it. ? Further, based on the technique employed for concentration of radiation, the concentrating type is further categorized into focus and non-focus types. The focus type is further subdivided into line and point focus depending on the focusing method….
Socrates will Refuse the Jury’s Decision
– … However, he states that due to questioning peoples’ wisdom and proving that these men are not as wise as they believed, Socrates “acquired much unpopularity, of a kind that is hard to deal with and is a heavy burden” (Apology, 22e). Due to his questioning and unpopularity, Socrates is accused by many as corrupting the youth by questioning the wisdom of others in front of them, leading to the youth questioning their elders, which lead to Socrates having to make a defense case in court as Plato depicts in the Apology…. ;