The Development of Heavy Equipment
– Imagine a world where the only earthmoving is what can shovel, and everything was pulled by draft animals. Up until 1850, when the steam traction was popularized, man power, draft animals, and a few simple machines was how earth was moved. Without the ability to change the contour of the land, structures had to be built in areas where the land had the proper contour. The need to move more earth more efficiently and change the lay of the land would grow as time went on. The power of steam has long been know….
Rehabilitation Project of The Philippine National Railways
– CHAPTER 1: Introduction 1.1 BACKGROUND AND NATURE OF THE PROJECT Transport systems play a crucial part in a nation’s socio-economic growth. Movements of people, goods and information have always been fundamental components of human societies. Transport represents one of the most significant human activities worldwide. It forms valuable links between regions and economic activities, between people and the rest of the world. Public transportation, by definition, is a shared passenger transport service which is available for use by the general public….
Pros and Cons of Funding the Construction of the Express Rail Link in Hong Kong
– In January of 2010, the Legislative Council have eventually approved the funding for the construction of Guandzhou-Shenzhen-Hong Kong Express Rail Link (XRL), which costs $66.9 billion. This astronomical cost raised a lot of discussions that whether the railway worthed it or not. The whole alignment of the XRL railway is about 140 kilometres with its intermediate stations in Humen, Longhua and Futian. Some have argued that the new railway could contribute to Hong Kong’s short-term and long-term development…. ;
Physics of Rail Guns
– The concept of a rail gun is simple: two parallel bars connected to a power source produce an electric field. This electric field can be used to propel a projectile along the bars. If enough amperage is provided, the projectile can achieve velocities of up to 4 km/s. The U.S. Army has been interested in the potential of electromagnetic guns for quite some time. In 1988 the University of Texas Center for Electromagnetics began work on a 9 MJ range gun, which would be designed to launch 2-4 kg projectiles at velocities of up to 4 km/s…. ;
Building Rail to Last
– “A railroad is like a lie, you have to keep building it to make it stand.” – Mark Twain Sustainability, the ability to create an enduring system, is a critical factor in the evaluation of an industry. The health of the transportation industry and specifically the railroad industry depends on the industry’s ability to sustain its business model in the face of resource challenges. A key driver of rail sustainability is the infrastructure, the rails, switches, yards and turnouts that the railroad industry uses when moving goods from source to destination…. ;