Functions of Meat Glue
– … Also, you have to know you are using the right type of transglutaminase. There are seven different types that the most popular brand carries, Activa is the brand name. Activa RM, Activa GB, Activa GS, Activa TI and TIU, Activa YG, and Activa FP. Activa RM is the most commonly used type of TG powder. It is a mixture of transglutaminase, maltodextrin, and sodium caseinate. The caseinate fills in the gaps between the pieces being glued. This type can be used in powder form, or mixed in four times its weight in water to make a slurry….
Alternative Oil Sources in Fish Diets
– The intensive farming of tilapia, Oreochromis sp. is rapidly expanding and tilapias are the second most widely farmed fish in the world with annual production exceeding 2 million metric tons in 2005 (FAO, 2008). Marine fish oil, a by-product of industrial capture fisheries, is the oil conventionally used in commercial tilapia feeds. Aquafeeds currently use about 87% of the global supply of fish oil (FO) as a source of lipid (Tacon, Hasan, & Subasinghe, 2006). For the past 25 years, annual FO production has not increased beyond 1.5 million tons per annum and estimates showed that the demand for FO from the aquaculture industry is likely to surpass total global supply by the year 2010 (New & W…
Behind Meat and Meat Factories
– … Even if there is meat available, it is extremely expensive and is eaten on special occasions. Here in the states and most first world countries, meat is found in abundance and can be cheaper than plant produce. The large production in the meat industry made meat cheaper. A surprising fact that “70 percent of grain produced is fed to animals” (Motavalli). The amount of grain put into an animal and the amount of meat that is produced is less than the grains. The same applies for fresh water. Hypothetically, the grain could be able to feed starving communities in third world countries….
Chlorpyrifos in Cattle
– Discussion Chlorpyrifos in cattle The mean levels of Chlorpyrifos residues in meat samples of cattle collected from north-east were non-significantly different than those collected from the south-west of Faisalabad city, 0.297 ± 0.006 ppm, and 0.373 ± 0.001 ppm, during the months of July, 2009 to December, 2009 (Table 1). These values of present study are higher than their corresponding values in literature. No difference in concentration of chlorpyrifos was observed in muscle, kidney, liver and lung of cattle during summer and winter, while Pagliuca et al….
The Story of Belial the Fish
– TAP. TAP. It is a funny thing about fish. They are often thought to be stupid and pointless creatures. For example, I once asked my mother-in-law why she had not left any plants or toys in her fishbowl for her clownfish to explore. “Well what is the point?” she told me. “Fish only remember things for three seconds anyway.” Then she smiled smugly as if she was the world expert in the cognitive abilities of fish. I have since learnt to ignore the mad nattering of my mother-in-law, fish are actually one of the most clever and fascinating creatures in the world….