Glatfelter Plant Papermaking Process
– On Thursday March 20, the processes class visited Glatfelter plant located in Chillicothe, Ohio. Glatfelter is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of specialty paper and engineering products. The company was started by Philip Glatfelter in 1864 and has expanded to annual revenue of 1.19 billion dollars. The company headquarters is located in York, Pennsylvania with papermaking plants and wood yard located throughout the United States. Glatfelter also has international operations in Germany, France, United Kingdom, Canada and the Philippines….
The Process of Papermaking
– The United States had been the world’s leading producer of paper until it was overtaken by China in 2009. The paper industry is dominated by North American, Northern European and East Asian countries. Paper is discovered by the Chinese 2000 years ago, it has been used ever since as a communication medium. Paper is always around with people and paper is actually documenting the world. It plays a vital role as a passport to knowledge, a storage medium, a persuasive tool and an entertaining art form….
Pulp Fiction, by Quentin Tarantino
– The movie Pulp Fiction, directed by Quentin Tarantino, contains violence, sex and drugs but is an underlying religious film. The five main characters either follow the lord and are rewarded or they follow the devil and are punished. John Travolta plays Vincent Vega, Ving Rhames plays Marcellus Wallace and Uma Thurman plays Mia Wallace, these three characters represent evil and sin. Samuel L. Jackson plays Jules Winnefield and Bruce Willis plays Butch Coolidge and these characters represent good and follow a righteous path….
– Commercial Papermaking Paper in 20th-century civilization, is one of our most important industrial products. Books, magazines, and newspapers are printed on paper. Data from computers are usually printed on paper. Education, government and industry could not operate without printing and writing on paper. Paperboard (used in packaging), and absorbent papers (tissue and towelling) are other widely used paper products. Paper is made from cellulose fibbers, which are found in all plant cell walls. When a mixture of water and fibbers is filtered through a fine screen, the fibbers tangle together to form a sheet of paper….
The Plant World
– Introduction Plants exhibit exceptionally intelligent behaviour when it comes to interactions with their environment. They can detect perceived threats, then convey warning signals to other plants via chemical signaling. Forewarned plants will then assemble their defenses against these potential threats, thus, increasing their chance of survival and reproduction. Communication and competition are common occurrences among the plant world. Another brilliantly, almost inconceivable capability plants possess is the ability to recognize coexisting family members within their home range….