The Polygraph Machine
– Polygraph Elephants cannot swim. How can you tell if I’m telling the truth. You can tell by testing me with a polygraph machine. Since civilization began, people have wanted a way to tell fact from fiction. In the middle ages, Europeans used torture because they thought that if you stress and hurt the body enough, it would cause a person who was lying to tell the truth. What this method has in common with today’s lie detector, or polygraph, is that there is an involuntary physical response from a person when they are lying….
The Use of Polygraph Testing in Law Enforcement for Investigative and Hiring Tools
– … He renamed the instrument the polygraph. The word polygraph came from Greek language that means “many writings”; because of the several different physiological responses it could read all at once, with the ability to respond with a revolving drum on paper. Leonarde Keeler worked along beside John Larson in the police department. In 1938, Keeler furthermore added to the instrument when he added a third physiological measuring component to detect deception. He added the psychogalvanometer; used to measure during questioning process, the changes in a suspects skin electrical resistance….
Informative Speech: The Controversy Over the Use of Polygraph Tests
– Title: The Polygraph Thesis: To inform my audience about polygraphs, the polygraph tests, and the controversy of them. Introduction I. Attention Getter: For more than 15 years, Robert Hanssen had led a double life. In one life he was a 25-year veteran with the FBI who had access to some of the nation’s most-classified information. In his other life, he was a spy for the Russian government. Hannssen’s deception was finally discovered, and in February 2001 he was arrested, and then took a polygraph test which forced him to plead guilty to 15 espionage-related charges….
Polygraphs and Reconstructive Memory
– 1) Summarize the means by which the polygraph works as a lie detector. What two major problems call its accuracy into question. A lie detector is an electronic device that records an individual’s physiological arousal when asked yes or no questions. There are two types of questions that the examiner will ask the individual in order to measure the individual’s arousal. The first types of questions are questions relevant to the crime being investigated. The second types of questions are called control questions….
History of the Polygraph
– Since the father of lies deceived Eve in the Garden of Eden man has been telling lies and other men have been trying different ways to detect the truth. Some of these ways of detecting the truth were crude but they were the pioneers to today’s polygraph test. A heated dagger placed on the tongue determined the amount of saliva in the speaker’s mouth. Supposedly, the more saliva, the greater likelihood the speaker was communicating the truth. The ancient Hindus demanded those accused of lying to chew rice and spit it onto a consecrated leaf for observation…. ;