Change of Identity in the Elderly
– Rationale- I wanted to conduct a study concerning the fragmentation of identity, as I was particularly interested in issues of identity from the first year of my sociology course. I am specifically interested in Goffman’s theories of mortification of the self as a result of being placed in total institutions and wish to base my research proposal mainly around his ideas presented in his book Asylums. Rather than studying mental institutions however, I am going to focus on residential homes for the elderly because I feel this will not be so ambitious and access will be much easier as I work part-time in Gorran Haven’s elderly home….
Environmental Modifications to Avoid Elderly Falls
– … Such as the vinyl floors being used for falls and using carpet that prevents injury from falling. The effects of community living were more convincing since there was a substantial alteration in the tested intervention group. Modifications were produced by assessing the patient’s home for environmental hazards, providing information, giving support on how to modify the home, coaching the patients on how to use adaptive equipment, and providing follow up on the intervention groups that are perceived to have a frequency of increased falls….
The Quality of Relationship Between the Carer and Care Receiver
– A care relationship is special and requires skill, trust and understanding. This essay will elaborate how the quality of that relationship affects the quality of the care given and the experiences felt in receiving care. These different relationships will depend on the type of care given, who the care is given by and what sort of previous existing relationship there was to begin with. For a good care relationship to work it needs to follow the 5 K101 principles of care practice which are ‘support people in maximising their potential’,’support people in having a voice and being heard’,’respect people’s beliefs and preferences’,’support people’s rights to appropriate services’ and ‘respect peo… ;
The Importance of the Elderly in Rudolfo Amaya?s A Celebration of Grandfathers
– … But they bloom again in the spring. Death is only this small transition in life.” While he was blinded by grievance, Grandfather was able to show him the brighter side of things; the silver lining. Although we as youth like to believe we have it all figured out, the reality is that the elderly are the only ones that are truly wise, and are the closest to having it ‘all figured out’. Olivia Newton John said it best as, “I don’t know what my path is yet. I’m still walking it.” (Kornowski, Liat.) Anaya’s A Celebration of Grandfathers is a great example of how our grandfathers may be the key to finding insight on life, and its many lessons…. ;
– Most people don’t think about dehydration; let alone elderly dehydration. It is a common problem, in the aging, and often recognition along with treatment may be delayed; contributing to a high mortality rate. (Lavizzo-Mourey, 1987) By recognizing a potential problem early, you may save an older adult from a debilitating complication. (Hamilton, 2001) The prevention of elderly dehydration will deter illness and increases life expectancy, along with decreasing unnecessary hospitalization and cost…. ;