From Warrant Officer to Police Officer
– After completing the GEMS essay it was determined that I am an Upward Mobile Analyst; a technical expert. I agree with the conclusion that was made based on my responses to the survey. As a Warrant Officer in the Army National Guard I am expected to be a technical expert in my field, radar systems. I am also expected to be an expert in my career field as a police officer. I am expected to know the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and how to judiciously enforce them. I strive to learn and retain everything I can in order to be the most proficient soldier and police officer….
Evaluation of Police Officer Candidates
– Workforce selection practices have become more prominent over the years, particularly with law enforcement recruitments. This enhanced use of process selection allows for more advanced methods of assessing police officers. One reason for this extreme emphasis on selection systems is the elimination of unqualified police recruit applicants, thus ensuring that monetary resources are not wasted on the ill-equipped (Cochrane., Tett., & Vandecreek, 2003). Several factors impact the potential success or failure of police recruits, including tertiary studies; efficient communication skills; previous moral and ethical behaviour and psychological adequacy of recruits….
Advantages and Disadvantages of Becoming a Police Officer
– … All of these different jobs deal with rural areas and most of them have a bigger jurisdiction than a police officer. Police officers patrol city streets inside city limits. If a suspect were to cross a city limit, the local police unit would contact a sheriff, or highway patrol or state trooper. Sheriffs patrol rural areas and county roads. They are mainly in charge of the entire county and patrol the streets of small towns without local law enforcement. State troopers patrol serious high crime rated towns and can often travel anywhere in the state….
Police Brutality and Profiling
– America as a people gloat when it comes to our freedoms we think we have it better than every other country out there but the protectors of our freedom are becoming fear and hated because of the injustices committed by certain officers. Some say life of an officer is hard because they do not know if they will ever see their family again after they drive out of their house in the morning, others might say every officer knows what they were signing up for so they should not be pitied. Police officers face dangers everyday but profiling and racially motivated brutality is not justifiable and officers should be severely punished for committing these crimes….
The Police Force
– Throughout history the police force has severely changed, with the first forms of policing appearing in the Anglo-Saxon period in England; where the king would provide protection to the civilians for a tax (Mawby, 1999). Centuries later and the principles of protecting the people are generally the same. However, in recent times crimes and perpetrators are becoming more sophisticated; the need for higher abilities to control and manage these complicated situations is becoming more prevalent. It can be seen that the entry requirements into the police force are also dramatically increasing over the decades….