The Mining Industry in South Australia
– Mining industry has been the anchor of South Australia’s economy and, benefits it has provided outweigh whichever associated costs. As developed by the South Australian State Government (2013), “realising the benefits of the mining boom for all” is one of the seven strategic priorities to secure the state’s future. Mining is an important industry in South Australia because it has been a major source of minerals for the high demand in Australia and many countries (Flinders Ranges Research n.d.). This industry plays a vital part in advantaging the state in terms of economic – profits and job opportunities; social – more skilled workers and population growth in the outback; political – good sta…
Mountaintop Mining and Environmental and Energy Policy
– Mountaintop mining has been practiced in the United States since the 1960s, primarily in the Appalachian Mountains. The process involves removing all tress from the site, then the topsoil, and then using explosives to remove the remaining soil and rock to reveal coal. The coal is removed and processed, and then the mountaintop is “reclaimed” with soil or an appropriate substitute, and sometimes replanted.6 While mountaintop mining in the Appalachians is only a small percentage of coal produced by the United States, the issues surrounding it are complex and wide-ranging….
Strip Mining Laws and The Broad Form Deed
– Today, coal powers over half of the electricity in the United States (“Razing Appalachia”). Over the course of many years, several different methods of mining coal have been introduced. The most controversial of these methods is surface mining, a form of mining that involves recovering minerals and ores that are very close to the exterior of the land. The two types of surface mining are strip mining and mountaintop removal. In strip mining, the overburden, several layers of dirt and/or rock are removed to reach the ore, mostly coal that is to be mined….
Mountaintop Removal Mining
– Appalachia, a vast, beautiful panoply of lush green mountains. At least, most of the thin line of peaks that make up the Appalachian Mountains used to be that way. Currently, the continued spread of a method of coal extraction known as mountaintop removal mining has plagued areas of the eastern United States, mainly including the state of West Virginia. Throughout its increasing stages of implementation, mountaintop removal mining has caused numerous hampering effects, including causing serious harm to nearby residents, and polluting a once-pure environment….
Mining for Fuel to Boost Economy of South Africa
– What price would you put on a diamond or even gold, is certainly not the economy of an entire country. That is the case in South Africa with mining being their fuel to boost their economy. Their economy needed the boost due to political instability burying the country into the ground. Being the fuel that helped South Africa’s GDP raise by 20% it has helped this country improve so much over the years. Political instability is one of the key factors that has and still makes South Africa so dependent on the mining industry….