Career Field Analysis: Diesel Mechanic
– Ever since I could go with my dad in the tractors and equipment on the ranch, I knew I wanted to be a part of its operation. I have always been fascinated with the operations of diesel engine and much of a valuable asset they are to our world today. I helped out on the ranch whenever I could driving equipment. In the summer time it was my job to operate the swather. I really enjoyed operating it as much as I enjoyed fixing it when it broke down. When it came time to go to college the decision for a major was pretty clear….
Mountaintop Mining and Environmental and Energy Policy
– Mountaintop mining has been practiced in the United States since the 1960s, primarily in the Appalachian Mountains. The process involves removing all tress from the site, then the topsoil, and then using explosives to remove the remaining soil and rock to reveal coal. The coal is removed and processed, and then the mountaintop is “reclaimed” with soil or an appropriate substitute, and sometimes replanted.6 While mountaintop mining in the Appalachians is only a small percentage of coal produced by the United States, the issues surrounding it are complex and wide-ranging….
The Development of Heavy Equipment
– Imagine a world where the only earthmoving is what can shovel, and everything was pulled by draft animals. Up until 1850, when the steam traction was popularized, man power, draft animals, and a few simple machines was how earth was moved. Without the ability to change the contour of the land, structures had to be built in areas where the land had the proper contour. The need to move more earth more efficiently and change the lay of the land would grow as time went on. The power of steam has long been know….
Strip Mining Laws and The Broad Form Deed
– Today, coal powers over half of the electricity in the United States (“Razing Appalachia”). Over the course of many years, several different methods of mining coal have been introduced. The most controversial of these methods is surface mining, a form of mining that involves recovering minerals and ores that are very close to the exterior of the land. The two types of surface mining are strip mining and mountaintop removal. In strip mining, the overburden, several layers of dirt and/or rock are removed to reach the ore, mostly coal that is to be mined….
Mountaintop Removal Mining
– Appalachia, a vast, beautiful panoply of lush green mountains. At least, most of the thin line of peaks that make up the Appalachian Mountains used to be that way. Currently, the continued spread of a method of coal extraction known as mountaintop removal mining has plagued areas of the eastern United States, mainly including the state of West Virginia. Throughout its increasing stages of implementation, mountaintop removal mining has caused numerous hampering effects, including causing serious harm to nearby residents, and polluting a once-pure environment….