Designer Babies or Superheroes?: Ethical Considerations
– Do you remember when you were young and always wanted to be a superhero. Today, you can virtually create your own child superhero by genetic engineering and designer babies. What color eyes and hair would it have. Would you make it smart, athletic, or both. These are all possible if you choose designer babies instead of natural conception. Herbert Boyer and Stanley Cohen first established genetic engineering in 1973 (Bellis 1). It wasn’t until around 1996 when they first started to allow parents to choose their babies gender….
Designer Babies are Just the Beginning
– Wouldn’t it be great if it were possible to choose features such as hair and eye color for your children. What about if a child needs an organ transplant but cannot get a donor for the transplant. Designer babies may be able to solve the problems that come along with genetics. They are babies that are genetically engineered in any way to make them different. They can be born in test tubes that are made to give children organs or other things that is more easily obtained from a baby along with taking out bad genes that can cause diseases such as cancer….
The Future of Designer Babies
– A man and woman walk into an office where they are greeted by a fertility specialist, who then sets them in front of a computer. Here, the couple is able to scroll through various traits and characteristics, then mix and match them onto a computer generated infant so they can see how their chosen attributes will look when paired together. The man and woman decide on a baby boy with cornsilk blonde hair and emerald green eyes. Their future son will grow to 6 feet tall with an athletic build, have a genius IQ, and a predisposition for baseball….
Made to Order: Designer Babies
– … In vitro fertilization was the five-step process which first involved monitoring and stimulating the growth and development of healthy eggs (Davis). The second step is taking those eggs out of the mother’s ovaries. Following the collection of eggs the father then gets his sperm taken which then can lead the doctors to feed the eggs to the sperm inside of a petri dish so that the sperm can attach to the egg. Allowing the eggs and sperm to develop inside of the petri dish allows doctors to keep a good eye of what is going on and allows proper early embryo growth (Davis)….
The Controversy of Designer Babies
– Genetically engineered babies also known as “Designer Babies” are children that are modified to your wants and desirer in what you want your child to look like. Typically women only use this procedure if they are infertile. The women decide what hair, eye color, or gender the baby is by doing this procedure. In this essay, I will explain how they’re made, the different religious debates about it, and why you shouldn’t do it. Genetic engineering allows infertile women with genetic defects in their mitochondria to have children….