Samuel Johnson: The Lexicographer
– Samuel Johnson the biographer, essayist, critic, poet, prose writer, parliamentary writer, dramatist and conversationalist, has been an extraordinary lexicographer too. He published his two- volume Dictionary on 15 April 1755, “The Dictionary of the English Language”. This Dictionary has also been at times published as Johnson’s Dictionary. Robert Burchfield the modern lexicographer commented on Johnson’s Dictionary: In the whole tradition of English Language and literature the only dictionary compiled by a writer of the first rank is that of Dr….
Notorious English Writers: Samuel Johnson
– Samuel Johnson Born on September 18, 1709 in Lichfield, Staffordshire, England, Samuel Johnson was an English writer who made contributions to literature as a poet, satirist, critic, biographer, and lexicographer. Since Johnson’s parents were bested by financial problems, his childhood was not unrivaled. In spite of Johnson’s misfortune, to prepare “himself for the role as the century’s greatest man of letters,” Samuel Johnson sought education from the books in his father’s shop (Cody 2). Blind in one eye, nearsighted in the other, deaf in one ear, Samuel Johnson contracted scrofula from his wet nurse….
Revenge and Release in High School Lexicography
– Revenge and Release in High School Lexicography Eighteenth Century British literature can be a hard sell for high school students: excepting Gulliver’s Travels, it seems they would rather chew through the ossified gum underneath their desks than the period’s personal essays and heroic couplets. Given their general reaction to the century, studying Dr. Johnson’s lexicography would not seem a sure-fire plan for pedagogical fireworks. Nevertheless, it was; I had underestimated the emotional potential of high school lexicography….
Biofuel vs. Conventional Fuel
– Biofuel is obtained from lifeless or living microbial resources. Also, various plants and plant-derived materials are used for biofuel manufacturing. In order to be considered a biofuel, the fuel must contain over 80 percent renewable resources. An important process to generate energy, photosynthesis, is the main route through which oxidised carbon (carbon dioxide) is decreased in the daytime and oxidised back to carbon dioxide to generating energy in the night. Biofuel is originally derived from the photosynthesis process and can therefore often be referred to as a part of solar energy source….
Personal Freedom and Independence: The Works of Benjamin Franklin and Henry David Thoreau
– Personal Freedom and Independence in the Works of Benjamin Franklin and Henry Thoreau It is an undisputable fact that the contribution of such prominent philosophers, writers, political and social activists as Benjamin Franklin and Henry David Thoreau in developing American statehood is tremendous. The literary works of both men can serve as a manifesto of national and personal liberation, a call for building a better society, where each citizen can live and work freely. Indeed, both Henry Thoreau and Benjamin Franklin emphasize the independence and freedom of an individual, but they do so in significantly different ways….