The Development of an Intimate Relationship
– “Most of our lives consist of socializing with others, beginning new relationships, and strengthening old ones. Love is all around us, embodied in three main categories. Each of these is experienced in a different way; each of these is approached in a different way (Lemon2x).” However, all of them share one common quality- they are not planned, unpredicted, and developed overtime. In addition, an intimate relationship is harder to develop. “Intimacy generally refers to the feeling of being in a close personal association and belonging together….
The Lives of Others
– ‘Das Leben der Anderen’ (The Lives of Others) is a striking example of how a director can convey narrative links within a film by employing various styles and film techniques. The Lives of Others relies upon these visual means to assist with the telling of the story as much as it relies upon the script. In this selected sequence of the film, several narrative links are drawn here to form the conclusion of ‘Operation Lazlo’. These narrative links are further cemented by Donnersmarck’s use of various lighting styles, diegtic and non-diegtic sound, revealing camera shots and intricate mise-en-scene….
The Lives of Others
– 1984, East Berlin. 100,000 East German Secret Police. 200,000 informers. In a society where more than one-third of the population is victimized by surveillance, people are forced to choose: to betray or to silence. A secret police Gerd Wiesler (Ulrich Muhe) and a successful playwright Georg Dreyman (Sebastian Koch) in The Lives of Others are no exception. At first, they appear to be securing a firm stand. Upon Jerska (Volkmar Kleinert)’s death, however, they start questioning their stances. The movie unfolds as the two main characters become alike….
Acceptance of Others is Necessary
– Acceptance of Others is Necessary All living things have needs. Whether the needs be as basic as food or as complex as discovering the reason for existence, all organisms have them. “Maslow wrote that, beyond the basic needs for water, food, shelter, and the like, people’s needs are ‘for safety, belongingness and identification, for close love relationships, and for respect and prestige’”. In a way, we all strive to fulfill these needs at some point in our lives. For example, in order to satisfy the need for safety, human beings live together in a society with laws that, if broken, have undesirable consequences attached….
– The Others This film begins with a totally black background with white subtitles. On this background is the name of the company presenting the film. As soon as they subtitle’s leave the screen a woman’s voice can be heard. It is a soft voice. The woman is talking to some children. She starts telling them the story of evolution and how God made the world. The woman or the children are not scene though all that can be seen on the screen are Black and White Pen and Ink Drawings. These are lit up by candle light….