Clinical Geneticists and Disease
– Clinical geneticists are specialised physicians who focus on analysing, evaluating and caring for patients with inherited genetic diseases or ones that are genetically influenced (Education Portal, 2014). They are medical professionals that screen for inherited conditions and diseases arrived from altered DNA, prescribe therapy and interact with genetic counsellors (Education Portal, 2014). Clinical geneticists evaluate a person’s risk of inherited diseases and treats inherited disorders such as cystic fibrosis, can treat different forms of cancer and lastly can treat other abnormal conditions associated with a genetic alteration (Education Portal, 2014)….
The Potential of Transgenic Organism
– … This experiment acts with the creation and manipulation of a DNA construct outside of the living organism, which in simple knockouts, the experiment consists of a copy of the gene, and this copy is not functional. The embryonic stem cells mix with the altered gene, which substitute for the already functional copy (Wiki). The stem cells are injected into blastocysts, which are implanted into the substitute mother. Gene knockout allows for the analysis of defects caused by the mutation (Wiki)….
Fishing in the Gene Pool
– “I belonged to a new underclass, no longer determined by social status or the color of your skin. No, we now have discrimination down to a science.”-Vincent. The previous statement was said by the main character Vincent in the futuristic movie known as Gattaca. In the movie Gattaca, parents who wish to have a child are recommended to go to a geneticist in order to help pre select their future child. The reason for this is to help avoid the chances of the child inheriting genetic diseases such as heart disease, cystic fibrosis, hemophilia, etc….
DNA and Pregnancy are a Reality in the Movie, Gattaca
– … I do not believe that it was at all irresponsible for the father to want to leave some things to chance. In my opinion, I think that some things should be left to chance because no matter what you decide for your child, it doesn’t plan out their whole entire life. I also think that knowing everything about your child before they are born ruins the surprise factor and you know almost exactly what to expect. Some families may enjoy knowing everything about their unborn child but I believe that leaving things to chance creates surprise and whatever happens you still love your child…. ;
My Passion For Science
– My passion for the fascinating wolrd of science literally can not be put into words. Since receiving my first home science kit at five years of age the way things work and why has always been at the forefront of my mind. During my early years I would find great delight in examining anything I could fit under the lens of my telescope. I will never forget my first look at the intricate detail of a human hair. High School has helped me to refine this passion to the field of biological sciences with my particular interest being molecular genetics…. ;