Increasing Fruit and Vegetable Consumption
– Despite the proven benefits of adequate fruit and vegetable consumption to health promotion and disease prevention as well as national efforts to increase consumption to recommended levels, data suggest that the average individual’s daily intake continues to fall below recommendations for many Americans1. In a community assessment of Nacogdoches County in Texas, multiple risk factors for inadequate fruit and vegetable consumption were identified, including: low income level, poverty status, unemployment status, Black ethnicity, low level of education, and currently exhibiting another detrimental health outcome….
Vegetable and Fruit Production
– Fruits and vegetables were grown in the wild for thousands of years. It was just 11,000 years ago that people began to plant and harvest fruits and vegetables. Farmers began to experiment and grew new types of fruits and vegetables. Explorers found different types of fruits and vegetables and took them to other parts of the world to grow. Since different fruits and vegetables can be found in different places of the world, their history will be different. Farming has a rich history, dating back to 10,000 years ago….
Why People are Growing Vegetable Gardens
– Home vegetable gardening is done for a variety of reasons by a number of people. One of the reasons why people grow vegetable gardens is due to the nation’s unhealthy eating habits. Another reason is the horrible state of the economy that the nation is currently experiencing. People have had to adjust to a different way of living by growing gardens which helps with both unhealthy eating habits and the failing economy. Growing their own gardens also saves people money on their grocery bills. Also people are growing gardens as a means of exercise and for the simple reason of the enjoyment of harvesting good tasting produce which in turn can be eaten fresh from the garden and can be canned or f…
Investigating the Browning of a Fruit or Vegetable
– Investigating the Browning of a Fruit or Vegetable Aim: To design, carry out and report on an experiment which investigates the browning of red delicious, pink lady, granny smith, braeburn and royal gala apples with regard to temperature and pH levels. Hypothesis: It is expected that each apple will brown at a faster rate at warmer temperatures and at an optimal pH level. The degree and speed at which each apple portion browns will depend upon the strength and amount of the enzyme phenolase present in each portion….
Analyzing Fruit and Vegetable Juices
– Fruits and vegetables are important components of our diet. We take fruits in raw state or in the form of juices, while vegetables are taken in the cooked form or sometimes as juices. Fruits and vegetables provide us carbohydrates, proteins and various other important organic compounds. The juices are rich sources of minerals, vitamins and many micronutrients (calcium, iron etc.) essential for us. For example, iron deficiency in humans causes anaemia and anaemic persons are advised to take leafy vegetables e.g….