Raising Fish in Fish Farms
– … Methods: There are many different stages and methods to raising fish in fish farms. The life of the fish normally starts at hatcheries where the life cycle starts with the eggs where they are bred and cared for until they are eventually released as juveniles or continue their life in fish farms. The concern with releasing hatchery-raised fish in large numbers is that they would out-compete with the native fish for food. And Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch says “There are also concerns about genetically weaker hatchery fish interbreeding with and threatening the viability of wild populations.” One of these methods is called bag-and-rack….
Alternative Oil Sources in Fish Diets
– The intensive farming of tilapia, Oreochromis sp. is rapidly expanding and tilapias are the second most widely farmed fish in the world with annual production exceeding 2 million metric tons in 2005 (FAO, 2008). Marine fish oil, a by-product of industrial capture fisheries, is the oil conventionally used in commercial tilapia feeds. Aquafeeds currently use about 87% of the global supply of fish oil (FO) as a source of lipid (Tacon, Hasan, & Subasinghe, 2006). For the past 25 years, annual FO production has not increased beyond 1.5 million tons per annum and estimates showed that the demand for FO from the aquaculture industry is likely to surpass total global supply by the year 2010 (New & W…
Ammonia Toxicity in Fish
– … There could be some other ways of handling ammonia toxicity such as partial catabolism of amino acid leading to the accumulation of alanine as in the giant mudskipper (Periophthalmodon schlosseri) (Ip et al., 2001c) and snakehead (Chana asiatica) (Chew et al., 2004), and also conversion of ammonia to some non-essential amino acids in walking catfish (Saha et al., 2002, 2000). Glutamine synthetase (GS) [L-glutamate:ammonia ligase (ADP forming); E.C. 126.96.36.199] catalyzes the ATP-dependent formation of glutamine from ammonia and glutamate….
Box Jelly Fish known as Cuboza
– Box Jelly fish is a special type of jelly fish. It is also known as Cubozoa. The scientific for this particular organism is Chironex fleckeri. These jelly fish look really beautiful and elegant but they are very lethal.They are extremely dangerous organisms. They have the ability to instantly stun or kill their prey.Their tentacles have certain toxins that manipulate the organisms nervous system and shut it down that does not allow the organism to breathe properly and as a result of which the organism chokes and dies….
The Similarities Between Humans and Fish
– Human and fish are not closely related on the outside. Most people would not see how we can share same features with fishes, but scientists do know that these two species share homologous features. These features imply that human and fish are related in the lineage of chordate because human shared homologous features with fish. Homologous features shared by human and fish lighten up the evolutionary pathway from the earliest vertebrate by sharing similar structures of the hands and fins. The development of teeth that diversified into features that showed up from the skin, and down to the instruction that made us who we are….