Richard Dyer, Terry Lovell, and Jean McCrindle – Soap Opera and Women
– Dyer, Lovell, and McCrindle (1977) take up the matter of women’s viewing of–and representation in–the soap opera, a popular form of entertainment. They make the case that genres specially addressed to a female audience–such as the soap opera–should be examined critically. Their paper has inspired many researchers to study the soap opera as well as female genres more generally and the female audience (quoted in Gray and McGuigan, 1993, p. 2). SOAP OPERA AND WOMEN 1. Introduction Critics do not yet believe that the world of women is as important as the world of men, never mind think that the separation of these two worlds ought to be challenged….
The Silencing of Mary Dyer
– … They were admitted in the Boston Church after they immigrated to Massachusetts. After William became a fee man of the Bay colony, he became involved with a lot of public relations and soon had a lot of importance among the people. (Notable Women Ancestors) Anne Hutchinson and Mary Dyer were friends. Mary and her husband supported Anne in the antinomian controversy, which was “One of the most enduring myths in American history is the belief that the Puritans fled to America in search of religious liberty…. ;
Skins: The Evolving Portrayl of Teenage Drug Use on Television
– As a young person, seeing the media portray the the youth “party culture” and experiencing this culture is quite different. Media portrayal of drugs is often glamorous, and though teens are educated on the dangers of drug use, they are still impressionable and as a result susceptible to mimicking such behaviors. The opportunity to see these cultures first hand in two different countries is very fascinating. At sixteen years old, I spent a summer abroad in Europe, and saw firsthand youth immersed in these situations…. ;
– Second Skins Many years ago if a person were to encounter a severe burn they did not live because of dehydration and serious infections. New advances in medical technology mike it possible burn patients to live and have newly restored skin too. The best way to treat a severe burn is for it to be cleaned and covered in a critical amount of time. Many types of coverings can be used to get the job done. Currently, surgeons agree that the patients own skin is the best form of covering the burn wound…. ;
Skins: A whole new look on everything
– Skins: A whole new look on everything Concept Background: Dykstra’s concepts of linear programming and modularity take on a whole new look. Peter Dykstra the father of linear programming suggested that anything that could be done in programming could be done with a combination of three basic procedures. Sequence- procedures performed in a linear order Decision- Expressions evaluated to determine between two routes of action. Repetition- The ability of a machine to perform an operation millions of times a second….