– A recent article in a Minnesota newspaper has struck fear in the hearts hundreds of thousands of citizens with a common problem in this economy – being in debt and unable to pay. The article gave an account of a woman who was jailed after apparently failing to pay a debt for which judgment was being sought by the creditor. From one perspective, that account may appear to be true. The woman had been ordered to appear in court to answer as to why she had not paid. She failed to appear for the hearing and the judge issued a warrant for her arrest….
Miranda Grey and Frederick Clegg from The Collector by John Fowles
– Miranda Grey and Frederick Clegg from The Collector by John Fowles Miranda Grey and Frederick Clegg are the main characters that are interpreted in the text The Collector, by John Fowles. Both characters correspond to different classes in society. John Fowles uses the concept of the implied reader, in which he ‘speaks to’ a specific reader in mind in an attempt to have the story interpreted in a particular way. Fowles expects us to read Miranda as an intelligent, mentally independent being part of the upper class, but at the same time, an arrogant “liberal humanist snob” (Radhakrishna Rao, www.freshlimesoda.com/reviews/thecollector.html)….
The Value of the Tax Shield of Debt
– Introduction Motivation and background Decisions about optimizing the capital structure of the firm, no matter if it is a small business or a global corporation, has always been an important issue for the management. Various authors, (e.g. Booth (2002), Cooper and Nyborg (2006), Farber, Gillet and Szafarz (2006)) state that debt policy may only be viewed in terms of maintaining a fixed market value debt ratio (Miles-Ezzell assumption) or a fixed dollar amount of debt (Modigliani-Miller assumption)….
Analysos of Debt in the United States
– America is the number one debt carrier in the world with it current debt standing at 17.3 trillions dollars. This is a very high number that is only growing faster. Other major countries debt don’t come close to the U.S. The debt of America doesn’t just effect Americans, but every one in the world. With modern politicians being elected literally to lower the debt and fix the economy how can it continue rise at such a rate. Americans ask this question often, and even protest in Washington about it; But how does a country that has such a large role on world stage get such a high debt….
– John Fowles, utilizes classic fairy tale as portrayed by other literary works to structure his narration in The Collector. He tells his version of a fairy tale by creating the characters of Clegg and Miranda to mirror Ferdinand and Miranda in The Tempest, Romeo and Juliet, the Prince and Belle in Beauty and the Beast. The Collector and the aforementioned tales are similar not in the circumstances of the narrative, but the traditional dichotomy of captor and captive, good and evil, love and hate, that the characters of Clegg and Miranda portray….