Biography of Martha Graham
– Martha Graham began her life in Alleghany, Pennsylvania on May 11, 1894. She would be the oldest of Jane and George Graham’s three girls. Her father was “alienist” that specialized in nervous disorders; a modern day psychologist.1 Although his Presbyterian beliefs were conservative, Dr. Graham’s unusual methods to diagnose through physical movement and his ideas about the body’s unique way to express its inner senses was an influence on his eldest daughter Martha. She would later quote his slogan, “Movement never lies”.2 The idea of body movement expressing emotion and feelings would become Martha Graham’s vocabulary, language and passion through a form of dance she would develop and perfect…
Conflicts of Race, Class and Gender Under the Hidden Patriarchal System on Dance Moms
– INTRODUCTION Dance Moms, in its fourth season on Lifetime, a channel whose main demographic is women, featuring dance studio owner/dance teacher Abby Lee Miller, is the flagship “maternal television” program to be examined in this paper. Abby is famous for the pyramid, a system in which she ranks her favorite dance students (top of the pyramid) and least favorite (bottom) directly in front of the students and their mothers. These three groups of females, particularly the mothers and Abby, are in constant negotiation with another as they fight for a place at top of the pyramid and this paper theorizes the techniques and reasons for their power negotiations….
Terry Kay’s To Dance With the White Dog
– The Power of Love in Terry Kay’s To Dance With the White Dog Terry Kay said there was a grand romance of life between his parents. (179). Kay captures his parent’s undying love and celebrates his family in his novel To Dance With the White Dog. Kay believes that his parent’s love still carried on, even after their death. Sam and Cora Peek’s love is portrayed through the white dog that Sam saw licking up grease on his back porch. Strangely, the white dog looked just like a dog that Sam and his wife had when they first were married….
Canadian Modern Dance: Anna Wyman Dance Theatre
– Introduction It is surprising for an individual to meet a famous person in the neighborhood or in a vacation resort, but how much more surprising it is for a person to get a job with a notable individual. I was shocked when as a new immigrant I got a job at The Anna Wyman School of Dance Arts and I was privileged to work with a Canadian choreographer, dancer and the Artistic Director, Anna Wyman. Through my work with her, I was able to explore the history of Canadian modern dance and to learn about my employer’s significant offerings to it….
Can Dance Be Considered A Sport?
– “Hey girl, what are you doing?” “Girl, I’m practicing on this dance. I been dancing and training for hours and hours, I am exhausted. “Although it is not a proven Fact, many people do not consider dancing as a sport, yet serious competitive dancers undergo the same amount of training as competitive athletes in regular sports. This paper will prove that dancing is and can be accounted as a competitive sport. Various opinions have been made due to the weather people think dancing can or cannot be accounted as a sport….