Francesca Lia Block’s Wolf
– The involvement of social issues in young adult literature is no red flag to modern day society. New Realism, which first occurred around the 1960’s-1970, lead to the evolution of the appropriateness of social issues in the young adult literature genre. (Robinson) In Francesca Lia Block’s Wolf, the author addresses the taboos of sexual violence and abuse in the home, and pairs this with the idea of female self-empowerment, and the age appropriateness of young adult literature for young adults….
The Struggle in Shiloh by Bobbie Ann Mason
– Leroy and Norma Jean in the short story, “Shiloh” by Bobbie Ann Mason, are a married couple, and they experience a series of events, which shapes them and determines there future. The final setting, Shiloh, works well to highlight the battles of war to the battles between Norma Jean and Leroy. Throughout the story Mason is focused on the persistency of grief, the instability of gender roles, along with the distance and lack of communication separating Leroy and Norma Jean from each other….
A Study of the Construction Industry
– Construction industry has long been criticized for its poor performance with many project failing and not meeting the client expectation. After major reports like Sir John Egan landmarks ‘Rethinking Construction’ report (Egan, 1998), major studies are carried out in different procurement routes, management system and technique and construction method. But beyond these, it has been growing interest for demand of studies to be conducted on the ‘softer’ factors such organizational culture. In the past 20 years there has been a growing research interest into this ‘soft’ area which is critical to the management of construction projects….
Disadvantages of Block Scheduling
– In order to properly research a topic, first an adequate definition is required. Kellough (2003) defined block scheduling as: The school programming procedure that provides large blocks of time (e.g., two hours) in which individual teachers or teacher teams can organize and arrange groupings of students for varied periods of time, thereby effectively individualizing the instruction for students with various needs and abilities. (439) Traditionally, schools schedule six or seven 40- to 55- minute classes per day….
Shiloh by Bobbie Ann Mason
– The setting in the short story “Shiloh” by Bobbie Ann Mason works well to accentuate the theme of the story. The theme portrayed by Mason is that most people change along with their environment, with the exception of the few who are unwilling to adapt making it difficult for things such as marriage to work out successfully. These difficulties are apparent in Norma Jean and Leroy’s marriage. As Norma Jean advances herself, their marriage ultimately collapses due to Leroy’s unwillingness to adapt with her and the changing environment….