Diction in Disillusionment of Ten O’ Clock
– Diction in Disillusionment of Ten O’ Clock What do you dream about. Do you dream of exciting adventures and think of colorful worlds. Wallace Stevens claims that sailors are the ones scattered throughout society who dream of these things. The author implies that this is his message through denotation, connotation, and his use of negative versus positive diction. The denotation in Stevens’ poem displays his weariness of society’s dull approach to life. When he begins talking about how, The houses are haunted by white night-gowns….
The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins
– In The Blind Watchmaker, evolutionary biologist, Richard Dawkins provides arguments to support the validity of Darwin’s theories of mutation, cumulative evolution, and natural selection as the only plausible explanations for the evolution of living organisms. In Chapter 7, Dawkins discusses the main concepts of the “arms race” and the “Red Queen Hypothesis”, the concept that organisms must continuously adapt and evolve in conjunction in response to the different selection pressures organisms and the environment place on each other….
The American Clock
– Arthur Miller is a social dramatist who reflects his outlook on the US government, in many of his plays. The Great Depression had a lasting influence on him, which he portrays in “The American Clock”. Because he was so deeply impacted by the Depression and the government’s role in it, Miller mocks the idealism of the American dream in “Death of a Salesman” and “A View from the Bridge”. Due to his unjust condemnation as a Communist during the McCarthy Era he accuses the faulty court system as culpable….
A Clock Work Orange and Misery
– This essay will examine the novels A Clock Work Orange, written by Anthony Burgess and Misery written by Stephen King in conjunction with the novels respective films directed by Stanley Kubrick (A Clock Work Orange) and Rob Reiner (Misery). Both of these works share several themes in common with one another, as do the main characters within them. However the two themes I intend to work with are the themes of speech and violence as modes of expressing critiques, and the theme of non-conformity and its consequences….
The Clock Protein in Drosophila
– … Expression patterns during the 24 hour time period confirmed that dclock oscillates with the circadian rhythm (Darlington et al., 1998). After the initial tests to establish dclock as a circadian gene were completed, the function of the protein dCLOCK in the regulation of transcription of the genes per and tim was analyzed. When dCLOCK is mentioned, it is to be assumed that it is functioning in tandem with the Drosophila homolog of BMAL1, dBMAL1. First, a transient transfection assay was performed with Drosophila S2 cells….