The Beauty of Walt Whitman’s When I Heard the Learn’d Astronomer
– The Beauty of Walt Whitman’s When I Heard the Learn’d Astronomer My father is an amateur astronomer. It is his passion, after he comes home from work at the office, to wait outside in the fields surrounding our house with his 10″ LX200 F6.3 telescope until all hours of the morning, waiting for the perfect shot of galaxies like NGC 7479 or M16. The next evening at dinner, despite being awake for over thirty hours, he speaks non-stop about how he finally got the perfect shot after five hours of painstaking positioning, how the galaxy, the nebula, the distant moon or dying star existed, or how it was turning back into scattered atoms leaving only a purplish ring of dust to prove it was ev…
Galileo Galilei Renaissance Astronomer?
– The renaissance was a time in our history where many new discoveries and ideas emerged. It is said that the renaissance took place in the 15th and 16th centuries in Italy and parts of Europe. This period of time was an important time for human intellectual development and was essential in shaping our world, as we know it today. The renaissance was triggered in most part by two connected events one being the fall of Constantinople and the surge of ancient text available to scholars in Europe. These two triggers allowed many scholars to gain knowledge from ancient texts that they would of never had any access to….
The Astronomer, Nicolaus Copernicus
– … For all of you who do not know, a canon is a person in a clergy who works with the Church. He ended up holding on to the job for the rest of his life, even though it was only available to priests. Copernicus was very lucky to have this job because it gave him the chance to fund his studies of the stars. He was only able the study the stars on his own time because his job required a lot of his schedule. In 1496, Copernicus took a leave and travelled to Italy, where he took a class of religious law at the University of Bologna….
Tools of the Astronomer
– The Telescope of the Astronomer Years and Years ago, astronomers didn’t have the advantage of the telescope. They could only use their naked eye. It wasn’t until Galileo first made a better telescope that it could be used for looking into space. Most every telescope you buy today is better than the one he used. These telescopes have revolutionized astronomy in general. When Galileo first took his telescope and looked at the sky he saw amazing things. He saw craters on the Moon, dark spots on the surface of the Sun, tiny moons moving around Jupiter….
Biography of Astronomer, Vera Cooper Rubin
– … She has been a part of many scientific organizations such as the American Association for the Advancement of Science, The American Philosophical Society, International Astronomical Union, National Academy of Sciences, the Phi Beta Kappa Society, and the Pontifical Academy of Sciences. She is the author to several books and over 200 articles about galaxies and their motions.3 Famous For- She is most notable for providing a great deal of compelling evidence, alongside Dr. Kent Ford, that proved Fritz Zwicky’s Theory of the existence of Dark Matter.2 Zwicky stated that individual galaxies within the Coma Cluster were moving so fast that if they were only held by the gravity of its visibl…