The Discipline of Chinese Painting: An Internal Reflection of Life & Art
– When one comes into contact with a Chinese painting, the style is almost instantly recognizable. The attention to detail, craftsmanship, and vast depictions of elaborate landscapes appear to pay homage to mother earth in an attempt to reach a state of eternal balance with nature and life. Before this equilibrium could be achieved, one must attain internal discipline. This was required before one began mastering their brushwork in Chinese culture. In Mai Mai Sze’s “The Way of Chinese Painting,” 1959, New York: Vintage Books, Random House, Sze discusses the philosophy known as Daoism/Tao, or “the way.” Before one became a skilled painter, one trained in the personal disciplines of poetry, art,…
– Land Art is created by combining art and nature in a complex way. Land art is also known as Earth Art or Earthworks. This art is designed directly in the physical landscapes with the help of natural substances and organic media like leaves, stones, soil, rocks, water, logs, etc. Mechanical earth moving equipment is also used by few artists. Artists show their reaction against industrialization and urbanization through the land art. Before the origin of modern land art, it has been already created by artists for last centuries….
Symbolism in the Gothic Art Movement
– The Gothic Art movement was not just a style of art but an extremely influential period containing its own complex history. The term is used to describe buildings and objects whose forms are based upon a range of characteristics from the middle of the 12th to the end of the 15th century. Gothic style was a development of the Romanesque yet it was Renaissance humanists who first used it as a disparaging term to describe what they saw as the barbaric architecture. With Gothic art being viewed through so many different perspectives it is deemed quite difficult to appropriately define what Gothic means in postmodern society today….
Survey of Art History
– … Noire et Blanche shows Kiki -Man Ray’s companion- with her eyes closed and her head sideways on a table in a very relaxed manner. With her left hand, Kiki is holding, an African mask known as a Baule Gba Gba mask. The mask is held straight above the table and right up next to her face. In this time, it was common to see artists repeat models of African masks in their work. Following the example of other modern artists, Man Ray used African art as a model, or subject of his photographs. Man Ray acknowledged the beauty of Kiki faced scrutiny of comparison to the beauty of the African Mask. The Baule Gba Gba mask pictured with Kiki in Man Ray’s photo is part of the Baule spiritual ritual… ;
The 12th Birthday Celebration of Art Enables
– On Saturday, Feb. 8, 2014, I attended the 12th Birthday Celebration of Art Enables, an art studio and gallery focused on showcasing works from emerging artists in the DC area who suffer from developmental disabilities. The 12th Birthday event consisted of a sale on works created by the Art Enables artists, a reception celebrating the 12th birthday of the organization, an art workshop hosted by local artist and a day-long Valentine making station. The event started at 1p.m. and ended at 4p.m. The Art Enables team served food and drinks at the event…. ;